1. Home
  2. Africa
  3. West Africa
  4. Guinea-Bissau

Peace endangered by foreign troops

Guinea Bissau Prime Minister-designate Francisco Fadul has said the fragile peace in Guinea Bissau might unravel if foreign troops remain in his country, news reports said. He also asked the European Union on Monday (yesterday) to try to secure their withdrawal and their replacement by a West African peacekeeping force.

Fadul said the first 200 Senegalese troops who left the capital, Bissau, this month were now in Guinea Bissau’s Bijagos archipelago, and not Senegal, the Portuguese news agency Lusa reported, quoting the Lisbon daily ‘Publico’.

Senegalese and Guinean forces were sent to Guinea Bissau in July 1998 to shore up the besieged Guinean president, Joao Bernardo Vieira. Their withdrawal is one of the key elements of a peace accord reached last November between the government and the self-styled Military Junta. The agreement, which also calls for elections by the end of March at the latest, says foreign troops must depart with the simultaneous arrival of the West African peacekeeping force, ECOMOG. So far only a company of ECOMOG Togolese soldiers has arrived. Benin, The Gambia and Niger have also offered troops for the force expected to number some 1,450 men.

Fadul said neither he nor the transitional government of national unity would take office before Senegalese and Guinean troops left, Lusa reported yesterday. Meanwhile, Junta leader General Ansumane Mane said at the weekend that ECOWAS must this week confirm the deployment of the full force by 31 January, or his army would demand the withdrawal of the Togolese.


This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions

Share this article
Join the discussion

We uncovered the sex abuse scandal that rocked the WHO, but there’s more to do

We just covered a report that says the World Health Organization failed to prevent and tackle widespread sexual abuse during the Ebola response in Congo.

Our investigation with the Thomson Reuters Foundation triggered this probe, demonstrating the impact our journalism can have. 

But this won’t be the last case of aid worker sex abuse. This also won’t be the last time the aid sector has to ask itself difficult questions about why justice for victims of sexual abuse and exploitation has been sorely lacking. 

We’re already working on our next investigation, but reporting like this takes months, sometimes years, and can’t be done alone. 

The support of our readers and donors helps keep our journalism free and accessible for all. Donations mean we can keep holding power in the aid sector accountable, and do more of this. 

Become a member today and support independent journalism

Become a member of The New Humanitarian

Support our journalism and become more involved in our community. Help us deliver informative, accessible, independent journalism that you can trust and provides accountability to the millions of people affected by crises worldwide.

Join