1. Home
  2. Africa
  3. East Africa
  4. Burundi

Thousands displaced in latest rebel attack on Bujumbura

Thousands of civilians were displaced when heavy fighting erupted again on Tuesday between the army and fighters loyal to Agathon Rwasa's faction of the Forces nationales de liberation (FNL) in the southeastern part of the Burundian capital, Bujumbura.

At the same time, the army announced that it had killed 15 and driven the rest of the rebels out of the city. The fighting began early Monday, and has forced thousands of residents of Musaga and Kanyosha communes to flee towards the city centre.

"Rebels infiltrated Musaga suburb again this [Tuesday] morning, they attacked a military camp near the suburb and many residents fled towards the city," Paul Nkurunziza, who lives in the suburb, told IRIN.

The army was reported to be shelling FNL positions, but the rebels were still fighting in Kanyosha at Gisyo and Busoro locations in the southeast of Bujumbura.

Army spokesman Col Augustin Nzabampema said on Monday that the army had chased the rebels out of the southern suburbs and that 15 of them had been killed. He said the army recovered seven guns, two hand grenades and two sacks containing bullets.

He said the army was continuing its efforts to rid the city of the rebels. He declined to give a figure of civilians killed in the fighting.

However, FNL spokesman Pasteur Habimana said six rebels had died and 17 others were injured.

"FNL will pursue fighting until a solution is found," he said. "We have a problem with the Tutsi community, we took up arms because Hutus have been oppressed by Tutsis who have been in power since the independence of Burundi."

He added: "We must sit together and discuss the causes of our fighting then forgive each other and build a new country."


This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions

Share this article
Join the discussion

Help make quality journalism about crises possible

The New Humanitarian is an independent, non-profit newsroom founded in 1995. We deliver quality, reliable journalism about crises and big issues impacting the world today. Our reporting on humanitarian aid has uncovered sex scandals, scams, data breaches, corruption, and much more.

 

Our readers trust us to hold power in the multi-billion-dollar aid sector accountable and to amplify the voices of those impacted by crises. We’re on the ground, reporting from the front lines, to bring you the inside story. 

 

We keep our journalism free – no paywalls – thanks to the support of donors and readers like you who believe we need more independent journalism in the world. Your contribution means we can continue delivering award-winning journalism about crises.

Become a member of The New Humanitarian today

Become a member of The New Humanitarian

Support our journalism and become more involved in our community. Help us deliver informative, accessible, independent journalism that you can trust and provides accountability to the millions of people affected by crises worldwide.

Join