The International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda in Arusha, Tanzania, has discharged Michael Greaves, the lead defence counsel for a genocide suspect, the Hirondelle News Agency reported.
It said the tribunal's deputy registrar, Lovemore Munlo, had signed the decision on 23 May. In the document Munlo said Greaves had only partially responded to grievances his client, Rwandan former Civil Service Minister Prosper Mugiraneza, had put to him, Hirondelle reported.
At the end of 2001, Mugiraneza had filed a request before the tribunal's registry for Greaves' dismissal, Hirondelle reported. Mugiraneza accused Greaves, a British national, of a lack of communication, lack of diligence and delay in filing a request for assignment of a co-counsel. He also accused Greaves of a breach of confidentiality, and complained of a lack of scheduling and evaluation of activities, as well as disagreements on the defence strategy.
The registry said Greaves had been informed of all the grievances for his opinion, but in his reply on 10 January had "only addressed the grievance of lack of communication, one relating to breach of confidentiality and requested to be withdrawn from the case". The registry said, "His declining and refusal to get involved in a fee-splitting arrangement is the root of his client's request for withdrawal of his assignment."
It added that despite four reminders this year, Greaves had failed to reply to the registry's letters. Eventually, the registry said, it had to rely on Greave's bar association to compel him to respond. Greaves had also failed to attend a hearing of 5 April, the registry said, and "as of today [Tuesday], despite the involvement of the General Council, he is still unwilling to cooperate with the registry".
This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions
It was The New Humanitarian’s investigation with the Thomson Reuters Foundation that uncovered sexual abuse by aid workers during the Ebola response in the Democratic Republic of Congo and led the World Health Organization to launch an independent review and reform its practices.
This demonstrates the important impact that our journalism can have.
But this won’t be the last case of aid worker sex abuse. This also won’t be the last time the aid sector has to ask itself difficult questions about why justice for victims of sexual abuse and exploitation has been sorely lacking.
We’re already working on our next investigation, but reporting like this takes months, sometimes years, and can’t be done alone.
The support of our readers and donors helps keep our journalism free and accessible for all. Donations mean we can keep holding power in the aid sector accountable, and shine a light on similar abuses.