1. Home
  2. West Africa
  3. Nigeria

Police chiefs sacked over junior officers’ strike threats

President Olusegun Obasanjo on Wednesday sacked the head of Nigerian police, Musliu Smith, and other top brass of the force because of the climate of insecurity created by the threats of junior officers to go on strike alleging poor conditions of service. Smith's dismissal and replacement by Adebayo Tafa Balogun, was announced after a meeting of the National Council of State, comprising governors of Nigeria’s 36 states and presided over by President Obasanjo. All six deputy inspectors-general of police next in rank to Smith were also sacked. Governor Ahmed Makarfi of Kaduna State, who briefed journalists after the meeting, said the sackings were linked to the crisis of confidence generated in the national security apparatus by the moves of junior police officers to embark on their second strike in two months. A shadowy group describing itself as the National Union of Policemen (NUP) has circulated leaflets urging the police rank and file to down tools from 11 March. "The federal government is determined to address the impending strike," Makarfi said. "In doing this reorganisation and revamping, we considered it necessary to make fundamental changes in the administration of the police." A one-day strike called by NUP on 1 February, to press demands for payment of one-year arrears of allowances, was held in 14 of Nigeria’s 36 states, including the commercial capital, Lagos. Banks denied of police protection were forced to close and public feelings of insecurity rose at a time of increasing armed robbery and other violent crimes. But the action appeared to produce immediate results when President Obasanjo ordered the release of four billion naira (US $35 million) to meet the welfare needs of the police. Since then rumblings of further strike actions have not only continued in the police over other unmet demands but have also emanated from the prisons service and the armed forces. Last week several foreign embassies in Nigeria confirmed receipt of letters by an anonymous group, claiming to represent the rank and file of the police and the army, saying the safety of diplomats could no longer be guaranteed. Chief of Defence Staff, Admiral Ibrahim Ogohi, in a statement late on Wednesday, urged the Nigerian public to ignore insinuations that the army may go on strike and reaffirmed the loyalty of the armed forces to Obasanjo. "The diplomatic community is also assured of its security within the country," he added.

This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions

Share this article

Hundreds of thousands of readers trust The New Humanitarian each month for quality journalism that contributes to more effective, accountable, and inclusive ways to improve the lives of people affected by crises.

Our award-winning stories inform policymakers and humanitarians, demand accountability and transparency from those meant to help people in need, and provide a platform for conversation and discussion with and among affected and marginalised people.

We’re able to continue doing this thanks to the support of our donors and readers like you who believe in the power of independent journalism. These contributions help keep our journalism free and accessible to all.

Show your support as we build the future of news media by becoming a member of The New Humanitarian. 

Become a member of The New Humanitarian

Support our journalism and become more involved in our community. Help us deliver informative, accessible, independent journalism that you can trust and provides accountability to the millions of people affected by crises worldwide.

Join