Namibian Prime Minister Hage Geingob, whose country has sent troops to support Kabila, appealed on Wednesday for a peaceful solution to the conflict. “We have meagre resources... We support efforts for peace,” he said at a press conference at Dar es Salaam airport. The Namibian defence ministry confirmed to IRIN on Wednesday that three soldiers had so far lost their lives since the start of the intervention.
A defence ministry spokesman said one of the soldiers had died of malaria “early on in the campaign” and that two others had died late last week in an attack on the eastern rebel-held town of Moba. The spokesman gave no further details and said he could not disclose the number of troops Namibia had sent.
This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions
Hundreds of thousands of readers trust The New Humanitarian each month for quality journalism that contributes to more effective, accountable, and inclusive ways to improve the lives of people affected by crises.
Our award-winning stories inform policymakers and humanitarians, demand accountability and transparency from those meant to help people in need, and provide a platform for conversation and discussion with and among affected and marginalised people.
We’re able to continue doing this thanks to the support of our donors and readers like you who believe in the power of independent journalism. These contributions help keep our journalism free and accessible to all.
Show your support as we build the future of news media by becoming a member of The New Humanitarian.