1. Home
  2. Africa

In the news: Guinean president enacts controversial new constitution

The changes may allow Alpha Condé to seek a third term in office.

Guinean President Alpha Condé
Guinean President Alpha Condé enacted a controversial new constitution on Monday that may allow him to seek a third term in office. (Simone D. McCourtie/World Bank)

Guinean President Alpha Condé enacted a controversial new constitution on Monday that critics say may allow the leader – in power since 2010 – to seek a third term in office.

The constitution was approved last month by the vast majority of voters in a delayed referendum that took place despite an opposition boycott and the emergence of the country’s first two COVID-19 cases.

82-year-old Condé says the constitution will help the country introduce new social reforms, particularly for women. But opponents say it will reset presidential term limits, enabling him to govern for an additional 12 years. 

More than 30 people have been killed in clashes with security forces since widespread demonstrations against the constitution began late last year, according to Human Rights Watch

An opposition umbrella group known as the FNDC said at least 10 more were killed on the day of the referendum.

Condé was the first democratically elected leader of Guinea, a West African nation with a history of coups, authoritarian leaders, and deadly crackdowns on opposition supporters.

On Monday, the president said he had approved a $315 million economic response plan to help fight coronavirus as the number of confirmed cases in the country passed 120.

– Philip Kleinfeld

Share this article

We uncovered the sex abuse scandal that rocked the WHO, but there’s more to do

We just covered a report that says the World Health Organization failed to prevent and tackle widespread sexual abuse during the Ebola response in Congo.

Our investigation with the Thomson Reuters Foundation triggered this probe, demonstrating the impact our journalism can have. 

But this won’t be the last case of aid worker sex abuse. This also won’t be the last time the aid sector has to ask itself difficult questions about why justice for victims of sexual abuse and exploitation has been sorely lacking. 

We’re already working on our next investigation, but reporting like this takes months, sometimes years, and can’t be done alone. 

The support of our readers and donors helps keep our journalism free and accessible for all. Donations mean we can keep holding power in the aid sector accountable, and do more of this. 

Become a member today and support independent journalism

Become a member of The New Humanitarian

Support our journalism and become more involved in our community. Help us deliver informative, accessible, independent journalism that you can trust and provides accountability to the millions of people affected by crises worldwide.

Join