1. Home
  2. Africa
  3. East Africa
  4. Rwanda

Genocide suspect Bagaragaza transferred to The Hague

[Tanzania] Michel Bagaragaza before the U.N Court in Arusha on August 16,2005.
Michel Bagaragaza before the UN Tribunal in Arusha on 16 August, 2005. (IRIN)

Rwandan genocide suspect Michel Bagaragaza, who surrendered on Tuesday to the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) in Arusha, Tanzania, has been transferred to The Hague, the Netherlands, for detention pending his trial, tribunal Acting Prosecuror Bongani Majola, said.

Bagaragaza, 60, had been detained in a facility at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia. Majola said the transfer was necessary due to security concerns in light of Bagaragaza's voluntary surrender. In a statement, the ICTR said Bagaragaza's transfer was facilitated through the continued cooperation of the Netherlands government with the tribunal, and by the relationship between the Rwandan and Yugoslav tribunals.

Following his surrender, Bagaragaza pleaded not guilty to charges of genocide, conspiracy to commit genocide and complicity in genocide in his initial appearance. No date has yet been fixed for his trial.

During the 1994 genocide, Bagaragaza was director general of the office controlling the Rwandan tea industry. He allegedly ordered his subordinates and instigated, aided and abetted others to kill hundreds of Tutsi civilians who had sought refuge on Kesho Hill near a tea factory in Rubaya and in Nyundo Cathedral. Both are in Gisenyi Province, northern Rwanda.

Bagaragaza also allegedly ordered tea factory employees to provide the Hutu Interahamwe militia with fuel for vehicles, arms and ammunition from a stockpile at the factory, and ordered factory personnel to help them kill hundreds of Tutsis.


This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions

Share this article
Join the discussion

We uncovered the sex abuse scandal that rocked the WHO, but there’s more to do

We just covered a report that says the World Health Organization failed to prevent and tackle widespread sexual abuse during the Ebola response in Congo.

Our investigation with the Thomson Reuters Foundation triggered this probe, demonstrating the impact our journalism can have. 

But this won’t be the last case of aid worker sex abuse. This also won’t be the last time the aid sector has to ask itself difficult questions about why justice for victims of sexual abuse and exploitation has been sorely lacking. 

We’re already working on our next investigation, but reporting like this takes months, sometimes years, and can’t be done alone. 

The support of our readers and donors helps keep our journalism free and accessible for all. Donations mean we can keep holding power in the aid sector accountable, and do more of this. 

Become a member today and support independent journalism

Become a member of The New Humanitarian

Support our journalism and become more involved in our community. Help us deliver informative, accessible, independent journalism that you can trust and provides accountability to the millions of people affected by crises worldwide.

Join