1. Home
  2. Africa
  3. West Africa
  4. Nigeria

Dozens feared dead, hundreds displaced in flash floods

Dozens of people were killed and hundreds displaced when flash floods overwhelmed a bridge in the eastern Taraba state capital, Jalingo, and washed away homes, police and residents said on Monday.

Fed by heavy rain on Sunday, River Jalingo quickly swelled, putting pressure on the Nukkai Bridge which collapsed, taking down dozens of people crossing at the time, said police spokesman Saje Atajiri.

"We rescued five people alive and have so far recovered nine bodies," Atajiri said.

Many more people were still missing, and while police had no definite numbers of casualties, Atajiri said he expected a high toll given that villages and houses on the river bank were also engulfed by the flood waters.

Radio Nigeria on Monday cited some eyewitnesses as saying more than 60 people on the bridge, many spectators watching the water as it rose, fell in when the bridge collapsed and are believed to have died.

The radio reported Abu Tani, a senior government official in charge of social services in the state, as saying hundreds of displaced people have been provided temporary shelter in a primary school in Jalingo.

August and September are traditionally the wettest months in parts of northern and central Nigeria, with villages and towns on the banks of major rivers most at risk.


This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions

Share this article
Join the discussion

It was The New Humanitarian’s investigation with the Thomson Reuters Foundation that uncovered sexual abuse by aid workers during the Ebola response in the Democratic Republic of Congo and led the World Health Organization to launch an independent review and reform its practices.

This demonstrates the important impact that our journalism can have. 

But this won’t be the last case of aid worker sex abuse. This also won’t be the last time the aid sector has to ask itself difficult questions about why justice for victims of sexual abuse and exploitation has been sorely lacking. 

We’re already working on our next investigation, but reporting like this takes months, sometimes years, and can’t be done alone.

The support of our readers and donors helps keep our journalism free and accessible for all. Donations mean we can keep holding power in the aid sector accountable, and shine a light on similar abuses. 

Become a member today and support independent journalism

Become a member of The New Humanitarian

Support our journalism and become more involved in our community. Help us deliver informative, accessible, independent journalism that you can trust and provides accountability to the millions of people affected by crises worldwide.

Join