1. Home
  2. Africa
  3. Southern Africa
  4. Angola

Cabinda separatists outflanked

Map of Angola
Voter registration is expected to prove a daunting task in the vast country (IRIN )

The ongoing struggle between separatists and government troops in Cabinda took a new turn this week after neighbouring countries pledged to help Angola end years of secessionist strife in the northern enclave.

On Thursday military chiefs from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Congo-Brazzaville, the two countries bordering the oil-rich Cabinda province, offered Angola their "full cooperation".

"We cannot allow certain elements to destabilise our countries," Congo-Brazzaville's General Liuanga Mata reportedly said in a news conference, broadcast by the Luanda-based Catholic Radio Ecclesia.

However, details of what action might be taken remained vague.

Separatists had enjoyed the backing of the then Zairean leader Mobuto Sese Seko and Brazzaville's former president Pascal Lissouba. But regime change in both the DRC and Congo-Brazzaville in the mid 1990s left the separatists without material or diplomatic support for their cause.

Earlier this year the Angolan government beefed up its military presence in Cabinda and conducted a "sweep" against separatist bases along the DRC border.

Angola expert Jaoa Porto of the Pretoria-based Institute for Security Studies (ISS) noted that FLEC - the main separatist group - had to a large extent been crushed, although pockets of resistance remained in the north of the province.

"The Angolan army is more than well-equipped to deal with the resistance within Cabinda, so the intervention of neighbouring countries is unlikely to have any significant impact on the eventual outcome of the conflict in the province. Angola, however, has played a significant role in the DRC and is expected to engage further with the country, which in many ways is the focal point of its foreign policy," Porto commented.

In 1998 Angola, Namibia and Zimbabwe sent troops to aid then president Laurent Desire Kabila against Rwandan- and Ugandan-backed rebels.

"It is also expected that Angola will assist the transitional government in the DRC with several programmes, including the training of the police force," said Porto.


This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions

Share this article
Join the discussion

We uncovered the sex abuse scandal that rocked the WHO, but there’s more to do

We just covered a report that says the World Health Organization failed to prevent and tackle widespread sexual abuse during the Ebola response in Congo.

Our investigation with the Thomson Reuters Foundation triggered this probe, demonstrating the impact our journalism can have. 

But this won’t be the last case of aid worker sex abuse. This also won’t be the last time the aid sector has to ask itself difficult questions about why justice for victims of sexual abuse and exploitation has been sorely lacking. 

We’re already working on our next investigation, but reporting like this takes months, sometimes years, and can’t be done alone. 

The support of our readers and donors helps keep our journalism free and accessible for all. Donations mean we can keep holding power in the aid sector accountable, and do more of this. 

Become a member today and support independent journalism

Become a member of The New Humanitarian

Support our journalism and become more involved in our community. Help us deliver informative, accessible, independent journalism that you can trust and provides accountability to the millions of people affected by crises worldwide.

Join