1. Home
  2. Asia
  3. Afghanistan

UN to step up staff security after recent killing

[Afghanistan] Auxiliary police in action in Afghanistan's restive south. Upwards of 20,000 men are envisioned for the force [Date picture taken: 02/15/2007]
(Freshta Dunya/UNAMA)

The killing of a United Nations driver on Tuesday is the latest in a spate of attacks and kidnappings by insurgents deliberately targeting aid workers and journalists in Afghanistan, local and international observers say.

According to UN officials, Sadequllah, 38, was shot dead on his way to work in the southern province of Kandahar by unidentified men on a motorbike. Police are now looking for the assassins.

“I am greatly saddened by his death, which is a loss to all of us. I have sent my condolences to his family,” read a statement by Tom Koenigs, the UN’s special enjoy for Afghanistan.

Sadequllah had been working as a driver for the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) since 1992. He leaves behind a widow and eight children.

Afghanistan’s volatile southern provinces have been a matter of constant concern for the UN and other humanitarian organisations.

On 4 April, two French citizens and three Afghans working for a medical aid organisation were kidnapped by armed men. A Taliban spokesman reportedly claimed responsibility for the kidnapping.

French officials have said that one female aid worker has been released by the Taliban. The Taliban have said that the remaining four aid workers will be released only if France withdraws all of its more than 1,000 soldiers from Afghanistan.


''Not only have suicide and roadside attacks increased in the southern provinces, but recently insurgents have also used another dirty tactic and that is the abduction of aid workers.''

On 17 April, four Nepalese men contracted by the UN to do security work in Kandahar and their Afghan driver died in a roadside explosion.

In early May, Taliban insurgents abducted Italian journalist Daniele Mastrogiacomo, his Afghan translator Ajmal Naqshbandi and his driver Saeed Agha in the volatile province of Helmand, also in the south of the country.

On 18 May, Mastrogiacomo was released in a deal that also saw the release of five Taliban prisoners held by the Afghan government. But both his Afghan colleagues were decapitated by insurgents, government officials said.

Taliban accused of war crimes

Afghan and international rights organisations have accused the Taliban of war crimes by deliberately targeting civilians in their fight against Afghan and international forces.

A spokesman for the UN’s Assistance Mission for Afghanistan (UNAMA) said it was still unclear whether a terrorist motive was behind the UNHCR driver’s assassination.

“Obviously, we face more threats now than any time in the past,” said an Afghani UN staff member in Kandahar on condition of anonymity.

“Not only have suicide and roadside attacks increased in the southern provinces, but recently insurgents have also used another dirty tactic and that is the abduction of aid workers,” added the source.

Adrian Edwards, the UN spokesman in Afghanistan, told IRIN in Kabul that “kidnapping is one of our current concerns in the southern provinces, and we constantly assess our staffs’ safety”.

Despite security challenges, UN officials say they will continue with their aid and development activities in all regions of war-ravaged Afghanistan to alleviate humanitarian hardships.

Given the Afghan government’s limited capacity to protect the UN and other humanitarian agencies, UN spokesman Edwards said: “We are bringing security experts through UNDSS [UN Department of Safety and Security] to fill this gap.”

ad/ar/ed

see also
PAKISTAN: Islamic extremists attack aid workers


This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions

Share this article
Join the discussion

Right now, we’re working with contributors on the ground in Ukraine and in neighbouring countries to tell the stories of people enduring and responding to a rapidly evolving humanitarian crisis.

We’re documenting the threats to humanitarian response in the country and providing a platform for those bearing the brunt of the invasion. Our goal is to bring you the truth at a time when disinformation is rampant. 

But while much of the world’s focus may be on Ukraine, we are continuing our reporting on myriad other humanitarian disasters – from Haiti to the Sahel to Afghanistan to Myanmar. We’ve been covering humanitarian crises for more than 25 years, and our journalism has always been free, accessible for all, and – most importantly – balanced. 

You can support our journalism from just $5 a month, and every contribution will go towards our mission. 

Support The New Humanitarian today.

Become a member of The New Humanitarian

Support our journalism and become more involved in our community. Help us deliver informative, accessible, independent journalism that you can trust and provides accountability to the millions of people affected by crises worldwide.

Join