1. Home
  2. Africa
  3. East Africa
  4. Central African Republic

Bozize sacks justice minister

The leader of the Central African Republic (CAR), Francois Bozize, has dismissed the minister for justice, Lea Koyassoum-Doumta.

Bozize gave no reason for the dismissal in a presidential decree read on Friday over state-owned Radio Centrafrique.

Koyassoum-Doumta is also the secretary-general of the Parti de l’unite nationale (PUN) of former Prime Minister Jean-Paul Ngoupande, whose presidential candidature was blocked by a transitional constitutional court, but was later cleared to contest.

Following the court's decision on 30 December invalidating seven of 15 presidential candidates, Koyassoum-Doumta was quoted on the independent Fondation Hirondelle radio saying, "We cannot leave irresponsible people to rule our country." She was speaking in her capacity as PUN secretary-general.

The court's decision to bar some of the presidential candidates led to a political crisis - with political parties whose candidates were disqualified, including the former ruling party, the Mouvement de liberation du peuple centrafricain (MLPC) of former President Ange-Felix Patasse, calling for the dissolution of the transitional constitutional court.

On 4 January, Bozize decided to authorise three of the seven barred candidates to contest the presidency, a measure he said was intended to preserve peace and support the nation's international donor organisations for the electoral process.

Presidential and parliamentary elections, scheduled for 13 February, would mark the country's transition to democracy and end Bozize's transitional administration.

Koyassoum-Doumta had been the justice minister since September 2004 when Bozize reshuffled his cabinet, moving her from the Ministry of Social Affairs, a post she had held since Bozize named his cabinet soon after he seized power from Patasse on 15 March 2003.

Meanwhile, the Mixed Electoral Commission, known by its French acronym CEMI, announced on Sunday that it had cleared 709 of 970 candidates who had declared their interest in parliamentary seats.

CEMI spokesman Rene Sangaka-Morouba told IRIN on Sunday that applications for 261 candidates had been rejected because of discrepancies in their documents.


This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions

Share this article
Join the discussion

We uncovered the sex abuse scandal that rocked the WHO, but there’s more to do

We just covered a report that says the World Health Organization failed to prevent and tackle widespread sexual abuse during the Ebola response in Congo.

Our investigation with the Thomson Reuters Foundation triggered this probe, demonstrating the impact our journalism can have. 

But this won’t be the last case of aid worker sex abuse. This also won’t be the last time the aid sector has to ask itself difficult questions about why justice for victims of sexual abuse and exploitation has been sorely lacking. 

We’re already working on our next investigation, but reporting like this takes months, sometimes years, and can’t be done alone. 

The support of our readers and donors helps keep our journalism free and accessible for all. Donations mean we can keep holding power in the aid sector accountable, and do more of this. 

Become a member today and support independent journalism

Become a member of The New Humanitarian

Support our journalism and become more involved in our community. Help us deliver informative, accessible, independent journalism that you can trust and provides accountability to the millions of people affected by crises worldwide.

Join