UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan said on Tuesday that there had been no progress in the implementation of the UN Settlement Plan for Western Sahara, but recommended a two-month extension to 30 June of MINURSO, the UN mission in the territory, UN News reported.
The extension is aimed at allowing the parties to explore a possible solution, UN News said.
Annan’s recommendation came in his latest report to the Security Council on the mission, which was first deployed in 1991 to conduct a referendum for the people of Western Sahara to choose between independence and integration with Morocco.
The report said while there has been no advancement in overcoming obstacles to the Settlement Plan, there has been some progress in determining whether Morocco, as the administrative power, “is prepared to offer or support some devolution of authority for all inhabitants and former inhabitants of the Territory that is genuine, substantial and in keeping with international norms.”
This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions
Help make quality journalism about crises possible
The New Humanitarian is an independent, non-profit newsroom founded in 1995. We deliver quality, reliable journalism about crises and big issues impacting the world today. Our reporting on humanitarian aid has uncovered sex scandals, scams, data breaches, corruption, and much more.
Our readers trust us to hold power in the multi-billion-dollar aid sector accountable and to amplify the voices of those impacted by crises. We’re on the ground, reporting from the front lines, to bring you the inside story.
We keep our journalism free – no paywalls – thanks to the support of donors and readers like you who believe we need more independent journalism in the world. Your contribution means we can continue delivering award-winning journalism about crises.