Lesotho police on Wednesday displayed about 700 illegal weapons which had been confiscated in sporadic raids throughout the country, the South African Press Association reported.
The report quoted police spokesman Superintendent Sekoateng Serabale as saying that some of the weapons were believed to have been stolen from the armed forces. “The police would continue the raids because we believe there are many illegal firearms in circulation in the country,” Serabale said.
He said rewards have been offered for information which would lead to the successful recovery of more firearms and the cash incentive ranges from US $14.7 for a small weapon to US $29 for rifles. All illegal weapons confiscated by the police will be destroyed in accordance with an order issued by Lesotho’s cabinet, added the spokesman.
This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions
It was The New Humanitarian’s investigation with the Thomson Reuters Foundation that uncovered sexual abuse by aid workers during the Ebola response in the Democratic Republic of Congo and led the World Health Organization to launch an independent review and reform its practices.
This demonstrates the important impact that our journalism can have.
But this won’t be the last case of aid worker sex abuse. This also won’t be the last time the aid sector has to ask itself difficult questions about why justice for victims of sexual abuse and exploitation has been sorely lacking.
We’re already working on our next investigation, but reporting like this takes months, sometimes years, and can’t be done alone.
The support of our readers and donors helps keep our journalism free and accessible for all. Donations mean we can keep holding power in the aid sector accountable, and shine a light on similar abuses.