1. Home
  2. Middle East and North Africa
  3. Israel

Gaza medical system at breaking point - aid workers

Palestinians mourn relatives during funerals in Gaza on 2 March. Five days of intense Israeli military activity in Gaza has left at least 115 Palestinians dead and over 300 wounded.
(Wissam Nassar/IRIN)

Hospitals in the Gaza Strip were struggling to cope with the influx of wounded after five days of intense Israeli military activity, including a ground incursion and repeated air strikes, which has left at least 115 Palestinians dead and over 300 wounded, according to medical sources in the territory.

[Read this report in Arabic]

The Israeli military said the operation was meant to halt rocket attacks on southern Israel, and that about 90 percent of those killed were militants.

However, human rights groups and medical officials said at least a third of the dead were women and children. The UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said in a statement: "Children constitute more than half the population of Gaza and are bearing the brunt of the crisis."

Israeli troops started to withdraw from Gaza on the morning of 3 March, but militants continued to launch rockets which caused damage to homes and slightly injured some Israeli civilians over the weekend (1-2 March). Two Israeli soldiers were also killed in fighting in Gaza.

Medical sector

Aid workers said the medical system was at breaking point, noting that it had been under pressure after earlier violence as well as the blockade on Gaza and rolling power outages.

"We are very overcrowded, especially in the intensive care unit," Hassan Khalaf, director of Gaza's main Shifa hospital, told IRIN. Other units in the hospital were treating serious cases as the intensive care unit had run out of space.

Photo: Wissam Nassar/IRIN
Palestinians mourn relatives during funerals in Gaza on 2 March

In recent weeks non-urgent surgeries had been cancelled due to power outages, and the latest violence has only further distanced them from treatment. One aid worker said that eventually some non-urgent cases would become emergencies if not treated.

Some patients need to be referred for treatment outside the enclave, which cannot offer certain surgeries. On 2 March several dozen patients were sent to Israel and others were taken to Egypt, after the neighbouring state agreed to open its usually sealed border with Gaza on a one-off basis.

The Israeli Physicians for Human Rights told IRIN that over 20 patients, including the recently injured, still needed to be transferred outside the Strip, though whether those considered militants would be able to leave remained unclear.

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said it was coordinating patient transfers as well as shipments of medical supplies into the enclave. It had provided hospitals with plasma as well as other needed materials and equipment.

Palestinians in the West Bank had answered calls to donate blood, and the ICRC was working to bring the bags into Gaza. Khalaf from Shifa said Gazans had been donating blood "24 hours a day".

Gaza hospitals remained in need of more items, including ventilators and X-ray machines, to properly handle all the wounded.

Jabalya refugee camp

The Jabalya refugee camp saw the worst of the fighting. UNRWA, the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, sent teams out following the Israeli withdrawal to investigate the damage. A main concern for UNRWA was that any destruction would not easily be fixed.

Photo: Wissam Nassar/IRIN
A Palestinian child stands inside his home in the Jabalya refugee camp, damaged during an Israeli incursion and airstrikes which left about 115 Palestinians dead in Gaza over five days

"We are not going to be able to repair damage to housing until we can get construction materials into Gaza," John Ging, UNRWA's Gaza chief, told IRIN. For the last eight months UNRWA has not been able to fix homes damaged in internal fighting as well as Israeli military operations due to the restrictions on importing cement.

Ging also expressed concern for the psychological well-being of the camp's residents, some of whom were trapped in their homes for extended periods of time, sometimes days, during the fighting.

The Coastal Municipalities Water Utility said during the fighting water supplies had been cut off for over 200,000 people in areas where fighting took place.


This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions

Share this article
Join the discussion

We uncovered the sex abuse scandal that rocked the WHO, but there’s more to do

We just covered a report that says the World Health Organization failed to prevent and tackle widespread sexual abuse during the Ebola response in Congo.

Our investigation with the Thomson Reuters Foundation triggered this probe, demonstrating the impact our journalism can have. 

But this won’t be the last case of aid worker sex abuse. This also won’t be the last time the aid sector has to ask itself difficult questions about why justice for victims of sexual abuse and exploitation has been sorely lacking. 

We’re already working on our next investigation, but reporting like this takes months, sometimes years, and can’t be done alone. 

The support of our readers and donors helps keep our journalism free and accessible for all. Donations mean we can keep holding power in the aid sector accountable, and do more of this. 

Become a member today and support independent journalism

Become a member of The New Humanitarian

Support our journalism and become more involved in our community. Help us deliver informative, accessible, independent journalism that you can trust and provides accountability to the millions of people affected by crises worldwide.