The UN Security Council voted on Friday not to give up on its peacekeeping mission in the disputed territory of Western Sahara but black clouds continue to hang over talks on the three decade-old problem.
The new UN envoy, Peter van Walsum, announced that the positions of the key players were "quasi-irreconcilable" after holding a series of meetings earlier this month with the leaders of Morocco, Algeria, Mauritania and the Polisario Front.
Nevertheless, the Security Council accepted UN Secretary General Kofi Annan's recommendation of a 28th mandate extension for the mission, known as MINURSO, despite its lack of concrete progress and US $650 million price tag to date.
"The deadlock between the parties over how to achieve a mutually acceptable solution that would enable the people of Western Sahara to exercise their right to self-determination has persisted," Annan said in his report on the territory this month.
The Polisario Front has been demanding independence since before Spain withdrew from its former colony on Africa's northwest coast in 1976, only to be replaced by Morocco in the north and Mauritania in the south.
While Mauritania gave up its territorial claims in 1979, Morocco has held on to a territory rich in phosphates, fish stocks and, perhaps, offshore oil.
Following the 1991 ceasefire, MINURSO began preparations for the referendum on independence which was to be held the following year. But endless disagreements over wording and procedure have meant that, 14 years later, there is still no vote in sight.
As the dispute lingers on, so do the difficult conditions for both the inhabitants of the territory and the more than 150,000 refugees in camps in western Algeria whose government supports the Polisario Front.
"I am concerned by the allegations of human rights abuses made by the parties, whether in the territory or in the Tindouf area refugee camps," Annan said in his report.
One bright spot highlighted by Annan was the Polisario Front's release in August of its last 404 Moroccan prisoners, some of whom had been detained for over 20 years.
In 2003, former U.S. Secretary of State James Baker proposed a settlement plan which called for a four- or five-year period of autonomy after which there would be a referendum on integration into Morocco, continued autonomy or outright independence.
The so-called Baker Plan was accepted by the Polisario Front but rejected by Morocco. After seven years of trying unsuccessfully to broker a solution to the dispute, Baker resigned last year.
This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions
We uncovered the sex abuse scandal that rocked the WHO, but there’s more to do
We just covered a report that says the World Health Organization failed to prevent and tackle widespread sexual abuse during the Ebola response in Congo.
Our investigation with the Thomson Reuters Foundation triggered this probe, demonstrating the impact our journalism can have.
But this won’t be the last case of aid worker sex abuse. This also won’t be the last time the aid sector has to ask itself difficult questions about why justice for victims of sexual abuse and exploitation has been sorely lacking.
We’re already working on our next investigation, but reporting like this takes months, sometimes years, and can’t be done alone.
The support of our readers and donors helps keep our journalism free and accessible for all. Donations mean we can keep holding power in the aid sector accountable, and do more of this.