• News

US suspends bilateral aid

The US State Department on Tuesday reiterated its condemnation of the military takeover in Cote d'Ivoire and announced that Washingon "will immediately suspend bilateral assistance" and "all arms transfers" to the government of the West African nation.

The department's acting spokesman, Philip Reeker, also reiterated the US government's urgent call for "the new authorities in Abidjan to make a public commitment to a prompt return to elected civilian government through free and fair elections at the earliest possible time".

Earlier this week, Canada also suspended aid to Cote d'Ivoire in reaction to the coup.

On Tuesday, the head of the Comite National de Salut Public (CNSP - the new military authority), Brigadier General Robert Guei, told diplomats in reference to the idea of an embargo that they should "try to see the human aspect". However, he said, "If you cut off supplies, we can eat plantains, cassava leaves."

"We might perhaps cry but we would try to guarantee our honour and dignity," he said.


This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions

Share this article
Join the discussion

Support The New Humanitarian

Your support helps us deliver informative, accessible, independent journalism that you can trust and provides accountability to the millions of people affected by crises worldwide.

Donate