UN Security Council members have underlined the importance of continued talks between the UN and the government of Angola, especially on a future UN presence in the country.
Council President Ambassador Baboucarr-Blaise Jagne of Gambia said on Tuesday that members had expressed a “close interest in the UN Secretariat reaching an early agreement.” Jagne was speaking after a briefing by the Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping, Bernard Miyet, on his recent visit to Angola, where he had held talks with senior government officials.
Miyet was able to reach an agreement in principle with the Angolan government on a small UN mission that would include political, information and humanitarian components. No agreement had been reached on military observers or human rights monitors, the UN information agency reported.
This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions
We uncovered the sex abuse scandal that rocked the WHO, but there’s more to do
We just covered a report that says the World Health Organization failed to prevent and tackle widespread sexual abuse during the Ebola response in Congo.
Our investigation with the Thomson Reuters Foundation triggered this probe, demonstrating the impact our journalism can have.
But this won’t be the last case of aid worker sex abuse. This also won’t be the last time the aid sector has to ask itself difficult questions about why justice for victims of sexual abuse and exploitation has been sorely lacking.
We’re already working on our next investigation, but reporting like this takes months, sometimes years, and can’t be done alone.
The support of our readers and donors helps keep our journalism free and accessible for all. Donations mean we can keep holding power in the aid sector accountable, and do more of this.