Rwandan and Ugandan officials walked out of peace talks in Lusaka yesterday, news agencies reported. The head of the Rwandan delegation, Emmanuel Gasana, told the BBC that Rwanda had been unable to persuade the other delegations to allow the Congolese rebels to take part. The Rassemblement congolais pour la democratie (RCD) rebels have repeatedly said that any deal would be meaningless without their participation. In an interview yesterday on Radio France Internationale, DRC communications minister Francoise Ibovi said the government would not negotiate with “terrorists.” He stressed talks could only be possible “with those that renounce violence.”
Meanwhile, Rwanda and DRC rebels on Wednesday reopened the Kabuhanga border on the foot of the Nyiragongo Volcano, official sources in Gisenyi told the private Rwanda News Agency.
This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions
Hundreds of thousands of readers trust The New Humanitarian each month for quality journalism that contributes to more effective, accountable, and inclusive ways to improve the lives of people affected by crises.
Our award-winning stories inform policymakers and humanitarians, demand accountability and transparency from those meant to help people in need, and provide a platform for conversation and discussion with and among affected and marginalised people.
We’re able to continue doing this thanks to the support of our donors and readers like you who believe in the power of independent journalism. These contributions help keep our journalism free and accessible to all.
Show your support as we build the future of news media by becoming a member of The New Humanitarian.