Guinean President Lansana Conte took a huge lead over his three main challengers in partial official results reported today, news agencies said. Interior Minister Zainoul Abidine Sanoussi announced on state television and radio that according to partial results Conte was leading in the poll in all but three of 18 constituencies. AFP said Conte had won 64 percent of the vote. A media source in Conakry told IRIN today it was “too early to comment on partial results” but said if there was no second round it could spell trouble. The opposition has accused the government of massive electoral rigging.
International observers who monitored the ballot endorsed the conduct of the poll in a statement released before the partial results were announced, adding that shortcomings had been noted but were not widespread enough to affect the outcome of the vote, Reuters reported.
Meanwhile, Barry Ibrahima Sory, a journalist working with the weekly ‘Le Lynx’ in Conakry, told IRIN today the detention of chief opposition leader Alpha Conde on Tuesday could escalate tension in the country. He said yesterday he had attended a press conference organised by Conde’s party, the Rassemblement du Peuple de Guinee (RPG), during which speakers said Conde had been under threat of detention since he returned to Guinea earlier in the month from self-imposed exile. This situation prompted his trip to a remote part of Guinea. The RPG campaign director rejected charges that Conde was trying to cross the border when he was arrested, Sory added. He said the government accused Conde of hoarding arms and recruiting mercenaries.
This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions
Help make quality journalism about crises possible
The New Humanitarian is an independent, non-profit newsroom founded in 1995. We deliver quality, reliable journalism about crises and big issues impacting the world today. Our reporting on humanitarian aid has uncovered sex scandals, scams, data breaches, corruption, and much more.
Our readers trust us to hold power in the multi-billion-dollar aid sector accountable and to amplify the voices of those impacted by crises. We’re on the ground, reporting from the front lines, to bring you the inside story.
We keep our journalism free – no paywalls – thanks to the support of donors and readers like you who believe we need more independent journalism in the world. Your contribution means we can continue delivering award-winning journalism about crises.