Vice-President Abel Goumba expressed anger at his sudden dismissal on Tuesday by President François Bozizé, two days after presidential and parliamentary elections, but before completion of the vote counting.
"I am disgusted by the way this has been done," he told IRIN on Wednesday. He said he had not been officially informed and only learned about his dismissal on state radio.
Goumba, 78, was an opposition leader for four decades, running for president four times since 1980, including the elections on Sunday.
In 2002, he headed a group of political leaders, known as the Collectif des partis politiques de l’oposition (CPPO), which supported Bozize in taking power from President Ange-Felix Patasse on 15 March 2003. Bozize had led an armed rebellion that lasted six months before he ousted Patasse.
However, a day before his dismissal, Goumba and other members of CPPO signed a petition complaining of fraud during Sunday's vote.
Observers do not consider Goumba to be a serious contender for president, although, according to one local politician, "I suspect the fact that he refused to join the coalition to elect Bozize was what cost him the vice-presidency".
Presidential spokesperson Alain-George Ngatoua told IRIN on Wednesday that the vice-presidency had been dissolved "because the new constitution does not make provision for the position of vice-president", and that it had nothing to do with Goumba's performance.
Bozize is grateful to Goumba for his "wisdom and courage" in helping to bring about the transition, Ngatoua said.
The constitution came into effect in December 2004, though Goumba had told IRIN in February that the institutions of the transitional government, such as the vice-presidency, "should remain in effect until the elected government takes power".
No date has been set for the inauguration of the new government. The electoral commission has until 28 March to release election results.
This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions
We uncovered the sex abuse scandal that rocked the WHO, but there’s more to do
We just covered a report that says the World Health Organization failed to prevent and tackle widespread sexual abuse during the Ebola response in Congo.
Our investigation with the Thomson Reuters Foundation triggered this probe, demonstrating the impact our journalism can have.
But this won’t be the last case of aid worker sex abuse. This also won’t be the last time the aid sector has to ask itself difficult questions about why justice for victims of sexual abuse and exploitation has been sorely lacking.
We’re already working on our next investigation, but reporting like this takes months, sometimes years, and can’t be done alone.
The support of our readers and donors helps keep our journalism free and accessible for all. Donations mean we can keep holding power in the aid sector accountable, and do more of this.