Opposition parties that boycotted last week’s presidential election in Chad said that they will not recognise the victor regardless of who wins in the final tally.
Polling went ahead across Chad on 3 May despite international and opposition pressure for a delay, after rebels threatened to repeat attacks on the capital N’djamena in a bid to disrupt voting.
Incumbent President Idriss Deby, who last year changed Chad’s constitution two-term limit, is favoured to win the ballot with three government stalwarts and a minor opposition figure the only challengers for the top job.
“We will not take part in this game,” said Ibni Oumar Mahamat Saleh, a spokesman for an umbrella group of opposition parties that boycotted the poll, on Saturday.
Power has never changed hands through the ballot box in Chad, and previous elections which returned Deby to power in 1996 and 2001 were denounced as fraudulent by opposition leaders.
Voting urns still have to be brought in from nearly 12,000 polling stations scattered across Chad’s vast desert territories, three times the size of France.
Rebels attempted to oust Deby in a sweeping east to west sprint on N’djamena last month that left hundreds dead.
Deby has accused neighbouring Sudan of backing the rebels, but Khartoum has denied the allegations.
N’djamena residents told IRIN they remained fearful of a further attack on election day, and normally bustling streets of the dusty capital were quiet as polling stations opened.
Opposition parties estimate that less than 2 percent of voters turned out to cast their ballot, although the government-appointed head of the national electoral commission has estimated that turn out was nearer 60 percent.
Some 5.8 million Chadians were registered to vote in Wednesday’s ballot. Official results are not expected until 14 May.
This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions
Help make quality journalism about crises possible
The New Humanitarian is an independent, non-profit newsroom founded in 1995. We deliver quality, reliable journalism about crises and big issues impacting the world today. Our reporting on humanitarian aid has uncovered sex scandals, scams, data breaches, corruption, and much more.
Our readers trust us to hold power in the multi-billion-dollar aid sector accountable and to amplify the voices of those impacted by crises. We’re on the ground, reporting from the front lines, to bring you the inside story.
We keep our journalism free – no paywalls – thanks to the support of donors and readers like you who believe we need more independent journalism in the world. Your contribution means we can continue delivering award-winning journalism about crises.