1. Home
  2. Africa
  3. East Africa
  4. Sudan

Government, rebels meet over talks in bush clearing

[Sudan] The Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) delegation before starting talks with the government of Uganda, Juba, southern Sudan, 27 September 2006. The vice president of southern Sudan who is also the chief of mediator, Riek Machar, attended the talks, wh
The LRA delegation to the peace talks in Juba, Southern Sudan (Manoocher Deghati/IRIN)

Ugandan government officials and local leaders from the northern Acholi region have held talks with commanders from the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) in a bush clearing near the Sudan-Democratic Republic of Congo border on Friday.

"It is my hope that we will not leave this place without signing a document which suspends hostilities," the chairman, Joachim Chissano, said after Ruhakana Rugunda and Joseph Kony shook hands to demonstrate they want a peaceful end to conflict in northern Uganda.

Rugunda is Uganda’s internal affairs minister and leader of the government delegation to the talks, while Kony has led the rebels since 1998. Chissano is the United Nations Secretary-General’s Special Envoy for the areas affected by the LRA insurgency and former president of Mozambique.

The talks are expected to last two days, during which time both sides hope to agree to formally resume talks and also renew a ceasefire which expired in February.


Photo: The Daily Monitor
Joseph Kony, leader of the Ugandan rebel group, the Lord's Resistance Army

Kony was first invited to speak, followed by Rugunda and then the mediator, the southern Sudanese Vice-President, Riek Machar.

About 70 delegates are in Ri-Kwangba, including representatives from Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa and Mozambique. The Ugandan delegation includes Kony’s relatives, traditional leaders and members of parliament from the war-affected districts of northern Uganda, and two bishops.

Before travelling to the talks, Rugunda expressed optimism, saying in Kampala that the meeting would cover sticking points that have led to a stalemate in the northern Uganda peace process. "After clearing the sticking points, we shall resume talks in Juba."

The on-off talks, which are intended to end the 21-year-old war in northern Uganda, started in July under Machar's mediation, but a stalemate arose after the rebels demanded a new venue and another mediator, saying they feared for their lives in Juba and that the southern Sudanese Vice-President was biased.

According to aid agencies, an estimated 230,000 displaced people returned to their villages in 2006 thanks to improved security after the talks began. However, up to 1.2 million more remain in camps, while some have moved to satellite camps nearer their villages to gain access to their farms.


Photo: Euan Denholm/IRIN
The tent where the meeting between Jan Egeland, the United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs, and the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), took place, near the Sudan-DRC border, 12 November 2006.

Friday's talks were being held in an upgraded bush clearing in Ri-Kwangba. Tents, chairs and a generator were installed and refreshments were being served to the delegates. Guards from the Sudan People's Liberation Army and the LRA guarded the venue.

The conflict started when Kony took charge of a two-year-old regional rebellion against the Ugandan government, sparking what aid groups have described as the world's most neglected conflict.

The rebellion also spilled into southern Sudan. Last week, a report published by USAID and the Famine Early Warning System Network, said LRA attacks on civilian populations in southern Sudan pose a significant threat to food security and overall stability in Equatoria states.

Related stories

lh/eo/jm


This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions

Share this article
Join the discussion

We uncovered the sex abuse scandal that rocked the WHO, but there’s more to do

We just covered a report that says the World Health Organization failed to prevent and tackle widespread sexual abuse during the Ebola response in Congo.

Our investigation with the Thomson Reuters Foundation triggered this probe, demonstrating the impact our journalism can have. 

But this won’t be the last case of aid worker sex abuse. This also won’t be the last time the aid sector has to ask itself difficult questions about why justice for victims of sexual abuse and exploitation has been sorely lacking. 

We’re already working on our next investigation, but reporting like this takes months, sometimes years, and can’t be done alone. 

The support of our readers and donors helps keep our journalism free and accessible for all. Donations mean we can keep holding power in the aid sector accountable, and do more of this. 

Become a member today and support independent journalism

Become a member of The New Humanitarian

Support our journalism and become more involved in our community. Help us deliver informative, accessible, independent journalism that you can trust and provides accountability to the millions of people affected by crises worldwide.

Join