Congolese President Joseph Kabila has written to the prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC), Luis Moreno Ocampo, asking him to investigate alleged wars crimes that may have been committed anywhere in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
In a statement issued from its headquarters in The Hague, the ICC said on Monday that Kabila's letter refers Ocampo to the situation of crimes, within the court's jurisdiction, that may have been committed in the Congo since the entry into force of the Rome Statute on 1 July 2002.
"By means of this letter, the DRC asked the prosecutor to investigate in order to determine if one or more persons should be charged with such crimes, and the authorities committed to cooperate with the International Criminal Court," the court reported.
It said after receiving several communications from individuals and NGOs, Ocampo had in July 2003 announced that he would closely follow the situation in the Congo, and that the situation would be a priority for his office.
"Since then, the office has continued its work in analysing the situation in the DRC, especially in Ituri," the court reported.
In September 2003, Ocampo informed the Assembly of States Parties that he would be prepared to seek authorisation from a pre-trial chamber to start an investigation but that a referral and active support from the Congo would facilitate his work.
"In accordance with the Rome Statute, the prosecutor will now proceed to determine whether there is a reasonable basis to initiate an investigation in respect of the situation referred," the court reported.
"The Office of the prosecutor will, therefore, assure itself of the basis for an investigation under the Statute and examine the modalities for such an investigation, in order to reach an informed decision," it said.
This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions
Help make quality journalism about crises possible
The New Humanitarian is an independent, non-profit newsroom founded in 1995. We deliver quality, reliable journalism about crises and big issues impacting the world today. Our reporting on humanitarian aid has uncovered sex scandals, scams, data breaches, corruption, and much more.
Our readers trust us to hold power in the multi-billion-dollar aid sector accountable and to amplify the voices of those impacted by crises. We’re on the ground, reporting from the front lines, to bring you the inside story.
We keep our journalism free – no paywalls – thanks to the support of donors and readers like you who believe we need more independent journalism in the world. Your contribution means we can continue delivering award-winning journalism about crises.