1. Home
  2. Africa
  3. East Africa
  4. DRC

Rebel troops begin withdrawal from Lubero, says MONUC

Forces of the Rassemblement congolais pour la democratie (RCD-Goma) rebel movement have begun to withdraw from the town of Lubero of northeastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) in accordance with a recent North Kivu Province ceasefire agreement, the UN Mission in the country, known as MONUC, reported on Wednesday.

MONUC spokesman Hamadoun Toure told a news conference in the capital, Kinshasa, that the withdrawal began on Tuesday at 7:00 am to 15 km outside Lubero, as had been agreed upon during ceasefire negotiations on 19 June in Bujumbura, Burundi, between the Rwandan-backed RCD-Goma and the RCD-Kisangani/Mouvement de liberation (RCD-K/ML), a rebel group allied with Kinshasa.

"We hope that this withdrawal will contribute to the easing of tension in the region," Toure said. "The time for fighting has passed, it is time now for reconciliation, discussion and dialogue."

He said he hoped RCD-Goma would also respect prior disengagement agreements that had been signed in the Ugandan and Zimbabwean capitals of Kampala and Harare.

"We hope that [RCD-Goma] will not take advantage of unforeseen circumstances in order to return to Lubero," he said. "All efforts are being made to ensure that RCD-Goma returns to its original positions."

Fighting between RCD-Goma and RCD-K/ML erupted in North Kivu in April.

The North Kivu ceasefire agreement risked being undermined by the capture of Lubero by RCD-Goma on the day the accord was signed. RCD-Goma alleged that government troops together with Rwandan Hutu militias known as "Interahamwe" had attacked RCD-Goma positions, while Kinshasa and RCD-K/ML said that the Rwandan Patriotic Army had launched the offensive.

Toure meanwhile announced the departure on Tuesday of outgoing MONUC head Amos Namanga Ngongi, after nearly two years at the helm. Ngongi's successor, US diplomat William Lacy Swing, is due to arrive on Saturday.


This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions

Share this article
Join the discussion

Help us be the transformation we’d like to see in the news industry

The current journalistic model is broken: Audiences are demanding that the hierarchical, elite-led system of news-gathering and presentation be dismantled in favour of a more inclusive and holistic model based on more equitable access to information and more nuanced and diverse narratives.

The business model is also broken, with many media going bankrupt during the pandemic – despite their information being more valuable than ever – because of a dependence on advertisers. 

Finally, exploitative and extractive practices have long been commonplace in media and other businesses.

We think there is a better way. We want to build something different.

Our new five-year strategy outlines how we will do so. It is an ambitious vision to become a transformative newsroom – and one that we need your support to achieve.

Become a member of The New Humanitarian by making a regular contribution to our work - and help us deliver on our new strategy.

Become a member of The New Humanitarian

Support our journalism and become more involved in our community. Help us deliver informative, accessible, independent journalism that you can trust and provides accountability to the millions of people affected by crises worldwide.

Join