Chad’s Ministry of Communications denied today reports of armed attacks in the north of the country by the Mouvement pour la democratie et la justice au Tchad (MDJT). A ministry official told IRIN there had been no instability in the north. But diplomatic sources told IRIN yesterday there had been sporadic attacks in the north, which is desert and populated by about 85,000 people.
The MDJT said in communique, published on Saturday in Paris by AFP, that its attacks against government forces started in October in Tibesti, in the north, and that 100 government soldiers had been killed, 12 captured and weapons seized.
This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions