1. Home
  2. Asia
  3. Afghanistan

Grave food crisis, says FAO

The FAO warned on Wednesday that an estimated 400,000 Afghan farmers would be missing the winter planting this month. In a special news alert in what it called a “very serious food crisis” in Afghanistan, the FAO appealed for urgent assistance to provide seeds and feed for livestock with the onset of winter. Of the nearly 300,000 mt of annual wheat seed required, there was a deficit of about 60,000 mt which meant an estimated 400,000 farmers would be missing the winter planting, the FAO reported. The drought this year had decimated crops and livestock, with more than three million people severely affected. Intensified civil conflict, particularly in northern parts, had resulted in fresh waves of population displacement, aggravating the precarious food situation. Large-scale movement of people, particularly from remote districts in Ghor and Badghis provinces in western Afghanistan and Faryab province in the northern region, had already begun with destitute households now being accommodated in camps at the edge of Herat, the main urban centre in the west. Nearly 2,000 households were reported to be in these camps with more expected in the coming months. In Dari Suf, in the northern province of Samangan, a number of starvation-related deaths had been reported. The FAO said that prospects for the winter cropping season, which normally started in October and November, were not promising.


This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions

Share this article
Join the discussion

We uncovered the sex abuse scandal that rocked the WHO, but there’s more to do

We just covered a report that says the World Health Organization failed to prevent and tackle widespread sexual abuse during the Ebola response in Congo.

Our investigation with the Thomson Reuters Foundation triggered this probe, demonstrating the impact our journalism can have. 

But this won’t be the last case of aid worker sex abuse. This also won’t be the last time the aid sector has to ask itself difficult questions about why justice for victims of sexual abuse and exploitation has been sorely lacking. 

We’re already working on our next investigation, but reporting like this takes months, sometimes years, and can’t be done alone. 

The support of our readers and donors helps keep our journalism free and accessible for all. Donations mean we can keep holding power in the aid sector accountable, and do more of this. 

Become a member today and support independent journalism

Become a member of The New Humanitarian

Support our journalism and become more involved in our community. Help us deliver informative, accessible, independent journalism that you can trust and provides accountability to the millions of people affected by crises worldwide.

Join