Vacancy: Production Editor
Would you like to use your news layout and graphic design skills to engage global humanitarian audiences?
Hours and status: Full time, permanent
Salary: Competitive, based on experience
Start date: ASAP
Location: Remote, with availability during standard CET business hours
Deadline for application: 11:59pm CET on 27th November 2022
The New Humanitarian puts independent journalism at the service of the millions of people affected by humanitarian crises around the world. Our on-the-ground reporting informs humanitarian need and response, amplifies the voices of those at the centre of crises, and acts as a watchdog to hold the sector accountable to itself, its funders, and the communities it serves.
We need this important content to visually engage audiences around the world…
We are seeking a Production Editor with journalism experience to handle web layouts in our Drupal content management system and across platforms for our digital-first newsroom.
The Production Editor is the lynchpin of our daily coverage as well as our innovative multi-platform, multimedia projects. At the centre of a lot of moving parts, you will be a master at organising workflows across the publication cycle. You will also have a discerning eye for layout and design and for visuals that tell a story. This role is perfect for someone with a variety of design and production skills and interests – from web design to graphics to workflow coordination – and is looking to put them to the service of humanitarian journalism.
You must have a passion for the page – ensuring that our on-site articles keep readers engaged and reflect the quality of our world-class, award-winning journalism. You will create charts and graphs; choose images that further efforts to decolonise our journalism; produce standard news layouts as well as cutting-edge designs; and seamlessly transfer your know-how to social, podcasts, multimedia and other formats. A strong attention to detail is a must, as you’ll be tasked with ensuring deadlines are met and all is in order to do it all over again the next day.
As part of our ongoing efforts to decolonise our journalism, we’re encouraging applications from candidates who represent the diverse communities our journalism serves, especially those who:
- have lived experience of humanitarian crises
- are a person of colour originating from and living in Africa, Asia, Central / South America, or the Middle East
- are an immigrant, Indigenous, and/or bring language diversity to the team (particularly languages that are spoken in the locations from which we report)
- are deeply rooted in or connected to the regions we cover, through family ties or by committing to living their lives there
- Working with the Managing Editor, publish two to three cross-platform editorial items daily, including design, layout, and production and representation tracking
- Manage and update the publication calendar and manage and track workflow and story tracker, coordinating across the newsroom
- Source or create appropriate imagery, and process to publication standards
- Ensure our visuals reflect the agency and authority of those living and working in the midst of crises
- Build network of visual contributors – illustrators, photographers, designers, developers – especially from the regions we cover.
- Ensure visual and design consistency across all platforms
- Create graphs and maps
- Working with the Web Developer, update and enhance site and mobile layout and functionality as needed
- Working with the engagement team, create content for social and off-platform use
- Layout daily newsletters in Mailchimp
- As requested and as time allows, assist with design and production of external relations assets
- Create and/or update organisational design and production guidelines
- Assist with design and production of new editorial products
- Hands-on experience doing digital layout and production, preferably in a newsroom environment
- Strong attention to detail and organisation
- CSS and HTML5 experience
- Drupal experience
- Graphic design skills and interest
- Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or general Adobe Creative Suite experience
- Facility in creating maps using any number of mapping platforms
- Facility with Datawrapper or other data visualisation platforms
- Calm under pressure and happiest working on several projects at once
- Able to work to the demands of tight deadlines; and prioritise among competing demands
- Strong team player
- Comfortable working remotely
- Knowledge of journalistic best practices
Priority given to candidates with:
- Mailchimp and newsletter production experience
- Experience commissioning illustrations, photographs, and other visuals for a media organisation
- Experience in the humanitarian sector or with humanitarian-focused journalism
Please send a CV, a cover letter explaining your interest in the role, and a design portfolio or links to samples of your layout, graphics, and design work to: [email protected] with the subject line Production Editor.
If you do not meet the criteria above, but feel you would make a great addition to our team for other reasons, please do not hesitate to apply.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates may be contacted.