Vacancy: Membership & Events Intern
Hours and status: Part-time, 24 hrs/week, ideally during standard CET or GMT business hours
Contract length: We require a minimum commitment of 6 months
Compensation: Depending on location, around £800/ month
Location: Remote, with availability during standard CET or GMT business hours
Start date: ASAP
Deadline for application: 23:59 UTC Sunday 10th April
Do you have a passion for social media, events, marketing, and writing? Do you want to work with experienced journalists across the world? Are you interested in humanitarian issues like aid, development and conflict? If so, then…
The New Humanitarian is looking for a smart, hard-working individual to join our small, passionate team, which works remotely around the world. Get hands on experience and work with experienced journalists covering the most important beat of all: life and death. Interns are considered an important part of our operations and are given significant opportunities to grow (our current CEO is a former TNH intern!)
The membership & events intern works alongside our experienced editors on community building, fundraising, marketing, and brand building. We are a growing but still small team, aiming to expose interns to all aspects of a digital-first newsroom.
About The New Humanitarian
TNH is one of the world’s leading sources of original, field-based journalism about humanitarian crises. Our journalists report from 70 crisis zones around the globe on everything from conflict to natural disasters, from migration to pandemics. We are amplifying the voices of those most affected and informing more effective prevention of crises and better aid responses. It aims to hold the humanitarian sector accountable to itself, its funders, and the communities it serves.
After 19 years as part of the United Nations, TNH spun off in 2015 to become an independent non-profit media organisation, now headquartered in Switzerland. Our journalism has prompted public petitions, donations and charity telethons, new aid programmes, debates in local parliament and changes in UN policy. Find out more about us here.
Main Intern Responsibilities
The intern in this role will carry out a number of tasks, including supporting our Marketing Manager with the management of our membership programme. Our members are readers who support us financially, and in doing so get access to a members’ newsletter, private Slack channel, and a more direct line for strategic and organisational updates and progress.
- The intern’s work will involve creating, scheduling, and posting copy for social media, newsletters, and web
- Updating and engaging with our members in a private Slack channel
- Helping with the planning and execution of membership drives and fundraising campaigns
- Responding to emails from our members; and admin tasks, such as managing the membership inbox and donations.
- Other tasks will include supporting the planning of online and in-person events
- Identifying potential targets for publishing partnerships
- There is room to explore aspects of the newsroom, take initiative, and pursue special projects
- Collaborating with other members of the team
- Passion for marketing, events, social media, newsletters, and writing
- Desire to learn what makes modern journalism succeed behind the scenes
- Fluency in written and spoken English is mandatory
- Candidates should have strong knowledge of social media, newsletters, and common multimedia tools for newsrooms
- Flexible, self-starting, and collaborative candidates sought
- Current students in graduate journalism programmes (or adjacent fields) or recent graduates are encouraged to apply
- Candidates from backgrounds typically underrepresented in journalism and marketing are strongly encouraged to apply
How to apply
Please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line "Membership & Events Intern”. In addition, please include three to five social post ideas that could be used to advertise our membership programme.
If you don't meet all of the qualifications, that's ok, we would still like to hear from you. Please tell us why you're still a great candidate.