Digital Production Editor
Hours and status: 40 hrs/week, permanent
Salary: Competitive, based on experience
Start date: ASAP
Location: Remote, with availability during standard CET business hours
The New Humanitarian puts independent journalism at the service of the millions of people affected by humanitarian crises around the world. Our on-the-ground reporting informs humanitarian need and response, amplifies the voices of those at the center of crises, and acts as a watchdog to hold the sector accountable to itself, its funders, and the communities it serves.
We were founded as IRIN by the United Nations in 1995, in the wake of the Rwandan genocide, out of the conviction that objective on-the-ground reporting of humanitarian crises could help mitigate or even prevent future disasters of that magnitude. In 2015, we spun off from the UN to become a fully independent nonprofit newsroom, IRIN News, headquartered in Switzerland.
In March, we re-launched as The New Humanitarian, part of our goal to bring our unique reporting to wider audiences at a time when humanitarian crises have never been so global in their repercussions.
We are seeking a production editor with some media experience to lay out daily coverage and special projects for our digital-first media organisation. Tasks include designing and producing site, social and off-platform content; coordinating production workflow, including scheduling; image and multimedia selection and processing; assisting with content processing, such as transcripts and basic video editing; maintaining a uniform look and feel across the site; and creating simple maps, graphs and multimedia.
- Work with the managing editor and other members of the editorial team to publish two to three editorial items daily, including design and production
- Find and select appropriate images, working with editorial team, and process to publication standards
- Create graphs and maps in coordination with the editorial team
- Produce and process videos and multimedia as needed
- Reinforce SEO by coordinating headlines, html and other elements
- Working with the managing editor, manage and update publication calendar and workflow
- Working with the web developer, update and enhance site and mobile layout and functionality as needed
- Working with the audience engagement editor, create content for social and off-platform use
- Assist with newsletters and external relations design, production and distribution needs as requested
- 2-3 years of digital layout and production experience
- CSS and HTML5 experience
- Drupal experience
- Photoshop or Illustrator experience
- Facility in creating maps using Carto or similar mapping platforms
- Facility with Datawrapper or other data visualisation platforms
- Organised and detail-oriented
- Calm under pressure and happiest working on several projects at once
- Able to work to the demands of tight deadlines; and prioritise among competing demands
- Strong team player
- Comfortable working remotely
- Committed to TNH values: independence, courage, humanity, authenticity, excellence, diversity, constructiveness and trustworthiness.
Priority given to candidates with:
- Mailchimp and newsletter production experience
- Video editing skills
- Newsroom experience, with experience on daily production and knowledge of journalistic best practices
- Experience in the humanitarian sector
Please send a CV, a cover letter explaining your interest in the role, and links to samples of your work to: [email protected] with the subject line Digital Production Editor.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.