The average per capita monthly expenditure of nine million Afghans is less than 66 US cents a day, and millions of other Afghans spend about $42 a month, according to a summary of Afghanistan’s new National Risk and Vulnerability Assessment (NRVA).
NRVA 2007/08 was produced by the government with European Union funding and in collaboration with aid agencies.
A bleak picture is painted:
- 26 percent literacy rate (12 percent female and 39 male)
- 24 percent of all child deliveries are attended by a skilled birth attendant
- Less than 30 percent of people have access to safe drinking water
- Over 90 percent do not have access to proper sanitation
- About 20 percent have electricity in their homes.
- Half of the estimated population of 25 million is under 15