Talks with rebel group adjourned

Talks between the Burundian government and the country's remaining rebel group, the Forces nationales de liberation (FNL), were adjourned on Tuesday after six days of debate that focused on the violation of a ceasefire agreement signed on 15 May in Dar es salaam.

Tanzanian officials said they hoped the talks would resume soon as both parties had reiterated their commitment to ceasefire negotiations.

The Burundian government and FNL delegations agreed on Tuesday to proceed with the ceasefire talks at a later date, despite several incidents of attacks in Burundi over which each party accuses the other of responsibility.

Tanzanian officials expressed optimism about the progress of the talks. They said despite the problems in Burundi, the parties had not abandoned negotiations.

"They are also committed to the prevention of further incidents by refraining from any action or public statements that could be perceived as hostile by either party," Joram Biswaro, the head of the Africa Department in Tanzania's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said.

Representatives of the Netherlands, South Africa, Uganda and the United States, as well as those from the Great Lakes region's initiative for peace in Burundi, the African Union and the UN Operation in Burundi, attended the talks held from last week in Tanzania's commercial city, Dar es Salaam.


This article was produced by IRIN News while it was part of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Please send queries on copyright or liability to the UN. For more information: https://shop.un.org/rights-permissions

Share this article
Join the discussion

Support The New Humanitarian

Your support helps us deliver informative, accessible, independent journalism that you can trust and provides accountability to the millions of people affected by crises worldwide.

Donate